We’re here to provide you with more information or help answer any questions you might have. Send us a note and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
The diversity of skin lipids includes triglycerides, wax esters, squalene, sterols, and sterol esters. L22® is a patented lipid complex, carefully engineered from botanically sourced lipids.
Jojoba oil (Simmondsia chinensis) is the only botanical source of liquid wax esters very similar to those produced by the human skin. Macadamia oil (Macadamia intergrifolia) produces a luxurious triglyceride oil chosen by many cosmetic formulators for its rich skin feel characteristics. In fact, a component of macadamia oil is interchanged with a chain of the jojoba wax ester through interesterification. This process produces a lipid composition similar to the one found on healthy skin. Olive oil (Olea europeae) is the source of squalene in L22®. Olive oil-sourced squalene both resembles that found on the skin and is of botanical origin.
L22®: Botanical equivalent of a healthy young adult natural skin oil
Healthy skin produces many different lipid components including wax esters, sterol esters, triglycerides, squalene and sterols. Healthy skin maintains these lipid components in a proper balance. This balance changes as we age.
L22® delivers these skin lipids in the same balance as present on a healthy, young adult. L22® is not a simple blend; it’s a patented noncomedogenic lipid complex, carefully engineered from botanically sourced lipids, consisting of jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis), macadamia (Macadamia intergrifolia) and olive (Olea europeae) oils.
Different studies have shown that L22® demonstrated superiority to other skin-lipid-like compounds such as olive oil and caprylic/capric triglyceride when evaluated for barrier repair and skin hydration. This was especially apparent when L22® was combined with Ceramide 1 or 2, resulting in enhanced effect on this skin qualities. L22® also demonstrated significant improvements in both aged and sun-damaged skin with regards to skin hydration, firmness, and elasticity.
Applications, Grades & Characteristics
- Skin care
- Hybrid color cosmetics
- Floratech formulations
- Clear, silicone-free under eye rejuvenator
- Serum with L22
- Night repair face cream
- Day cream with sunscreen actives
- PEG-free, silicone-free day cream
- Zinc oxide & titanium dioxide pre-sun lotion
- Sprayable milky lotion
- Delivers the skin lipid profile of a healthy, young adult
- Hydrates skin better than common emollients
- Improves skin elasticity and firmness
- Improves skin barrier recovery
- COSMOS approved
- INCI Name: Jojoba Oil/Macadamia Seed Oil Esters, Squalene, Phytosteryl Macadamiate, Phytosterols, Tocopherol
- Appearance: Liquid at or above 25°C
- Composition by INCI Name: Jojoba Oil/Macadamia Seed Oil Esters (81-90%) / Squalene (11-14%)
- Phytosteryl Macadamiate (1.9-2.3%)
- Phytosterols (0.3-0.7%)
- Tocopherol (0.1-0.2%)
- Cosmos Approved: Yes
- Biodegradable: Yes*